Ransomware Viruses are used as a way to extort money out of a person or company by encrypting and locking all of your PC or network files. The following list offers tips on avoiding becoming infected by ransomware or similar viruses.
- Run an up to date Anti Virus. A good anti virus may prevent you from opening a malicious file from email. This is not a catch all and many viruses and ransomware will still infect your PC even if you are running up to date computer security.
- Have a strong password on your PC and email access.
- Don’t click on email attachments from people that you do not know. If unsure you can contact your IT provider to confirm whether it is malicious.
- Even if you do know the sender be wary of attachments. If you are unsure it is best to contact the sender via telephone and confirm that the email is legitimate
- Take note of the language used of the email you have received. Ransomware will usually be sent with a generic text email and will sometimes look unusual or out of place.
- AVOID ZIP FILES. Invoices/Statements/price lists should not require zip files. once again, contact and confirm with the sender before opening any zip files.
- Be wary of downloads from websites. if you are unsure of whether the file is legitimate, do not install.
- If you have opened a malicious file and activated a virus or ransomware. Shut down your computer ASAP. if you can not do so via the start menu > shut down options you should hold down the power button on the front of your PC for a few seconds. Call your IT support and let them know. This can minimize the damage caused by ransomware.
Follow these tips but above all remember. If it doesn’t feel right don’t open it.
Leet IT Provides network and computer support in Newcastle and the hunter Valley. If you require more information you can Contact Us